Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Take it to the people

This is my first political post - the first of many, I'm sure.

I hear the argument over and over about where the Democratic message got lost, and the most reoccurring answer I have heard makes the most sense.

We *have* spent too much time defending. Defending false accusations and ridiculous labels. The truth hurts, and clearly our fellow citizens will go to great lengths not to see it. We have spent entirely too much energy defending against the most basic of children's strategies: "Look over there."

I have no doubt that the arrogance of the current Administration will at some point go too far and forever alienate itself from the American people. However, I had *hoped* that that tolernce level was already met by Abu Ghirab and the proof of neither weapons of mass destruction nor ties to Al Qaeda. November 2nd proved that hope false, so here I am today.

The greatest enemy of any citizen is apathy. My time as an armchair quarterback is at an end. The America I grew up in, the American dream I believe in, does not allow for intolerance, discrimination, and using hatred as a political party platform. It believes in not only equality, but equal opportunity for all of its' citizens.

I begin from the beginning, by reading the Constitution and listening to what this country's forefathers had in mind when they set in writing the groundwork of a nation.

For too long I've been silent in the face of opposition, too polite to argue with those who practically spit in my face in defence of their radical ideals. No more. Welcome to my world. Together may we change America for the better.